Butterfly motifs have been super popular this year in fashion and home decorating
Butterfly motifs have been super popular this year in fashion and home decorating, so why not extend that to your wedding? Not only are butterflies beautiful, they are also the perfect symbol of the season and of the new life you and your spouse are beginning together. You can also use them to add color and life to your wedding décor in unexpected ways.
1. Make your favors a work of art by perching a fabric butterfly (available at most craft stores) atop silk flowers and a bright little box tied up with a colorful satin ribbon. Fill them with candy or other small goodies, but these look so pretty on their own, your guests won’t even care what’s inside! Photo from Advantage Bridal.
2. Embrace the butterfly theme from your head to your feet – literally – with these gorgeous sandals from Hen UK. The pearlescent ivory or white leather coordinates with almost any wedding ensemble, and the organza and pearl butterfly embellishment makes these shoes unique. Another thing that makes this pair special – they are handmade to order in London by skilled craftsmen using traditional techniques.
3. Spice up your ceremony or reception location with some colorful butterfly garlands. For an outdoor wedding, these would look amazing intertwined with white lights and strung up among the tree branches. Indoors, they would look just as great draped across a cake or gift table. Get creative – the possibilities are endless! Each garland is over 15 feet long, and at around $5, they are sure to fit any bridal budget! From Funky Moose (actual prices are in British pounds).
4. It’s the extra touches and unique details that guests will remember most about your wedding. While being seated for a hot summer wedding or during cocktail hour, treat your guests to ice cold drinks served with pretty paper butterflies hovering on the straw. Photo and craft project from Martha Stewart.
5. These bridal shower invitations are so cute! Set the tone for your big day by using the same motif for any wedding-related correspondence. The brightly colored, mixed pattern butterfly silhouettes on these invites by Vanilla Ink give them a fun, playful look that is perfect for summer.
6. Get creative with your place settings and use this colorful printed tea towel from Anthropologie as a table runner. You can also search local thrift and antique shops for vintage scarves, cloth napkins, and other linens that match your color scheme and motif. Use a different one on every table for an eclectic, mix-and-match look. Top with a simple arrangement of butterfly garden flowers to complete the look!
7. For the truly daring bride, eschew tradition and wear a gorgeous gown festooned with butterflies in every color of the rainbow! With a dress like this, you can be certain your guests (and your groom!) will never forget the way you looked on your big day. Photo from Monterey Wedding.
8. A simple tiered wedding cake comes to life with multi-colored, lifelike fabric butterflies. The lack of fussy piped decorations means your baker won’t have to spend hours and hours making your cake – which could potentially save you a ton of cash. With its minimal base and inexpensive decorations, this is an affordable – yet stunning – option for almost any couple. Photo from Martha Stewart Weddings.